Monday, December 13, 2010

Inspiring Teachers...


            Teachers can inspire and bring out the best in students.  So many decisions in school are made by the teacher, and the learning environment is affected by those choices.  Many students have a teacher that they admire due to their teaching style or personality.  Some teachers are more hands on while others are by the book.  As a student, I enjoy class activities that take learning to a different level.  When you take a battle between Athens and Sparta and turn it into a rap song, surely that will be remembered.  When you swing a ruler like a sword and jump from table to table, students my pay attention.  If you bring a bucket of ice water in, and have all your students stand in it and say, “Vēnī, vīdī, vīcī. I came, I saw, I conquered,” it makes things fun.  My favorite teacher is Mr. Brent Carson because he brought the unexpected into the classroom.
            I really didn’t like history until the 6th grade due to the way class was taught.  It was boring, and it seemed useless to learn.  That all changed when I entered Mr. Carson’s 6th grade History class.  I learned so much and had a lot of fun.  I only got all a C every term and one D third term.  He was a hard teacher, and taught class well.  Mr. Carson read us books, showed us interesting movies, and held game shows that the prize was a trip to Cedar Point!  I learned more in his class then I ever did in one school year.  Mr. Carson received Teacher of the Year and is a living legend.  Everyone knows him and he has taught thousands of students.  He can’t walk into a McDonalds without knowing almost everyone in the restaurant.  There are several movies out about Delaware that Mr. Carson has helped create. 
            Mr. Carson’s teaching does not stop at the school doors.  He teaches the Citizenship in the Community, Nation, and World Merit Badges for a local Boy Scout Troop.  He also educates people about the city of Delaware.  He is very knowledgeable in the field of history and is always striving to learn more.  No teacher should stop educating outside of their classroom.  Mr. Carson hasn’t, and that is another reason why he is my favorite teacher.
            If I could be anything like Mr. Carson, I think that would be a privilege.  I still keep in contact with him and enjoy the time that I had him as a teacher.  He is a man of many words, and I would rather be educated by him than any other teacher.  He is a true legend in the city of Delaware.  From jumping on desks to throwing water in class, he affected my life considerably.  Mr. Carson is the reason I decided to be a History Teacher and I plan to keep that dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment