While I was tutoring, I worked closely with a student named Dalton and he was in 3th grade. Every day he always had lots of homework and it never seemed to stop. To Dalton, his education is all about get out of school and doing construction work with his Dad. That is the one thing that he wants to do in his life. He said that he would go to college, but I think that he may not. He is a smart individual, but either he isn’t motivated or his parents don’t care that much. School is just something that he does every day as a routine.
Dalton’s needs are being met in his school system. I hope that he get some motivation form somewhere because he is very smart and could go far in life. The only thing that is really going against him is the fact that he always has a huge pile of homework. If his teachers didn’t give so much he might enjoy school more, but that is not my judgment. He only does his homework at the after-school place and not at home, which I think shows lack of parental involvement. I think if his parents raised their involvement and expectations, Dalton could expand his educational horizons.
Tutoring was an interesting experience for me. I knew that I didn’t like working with Elementary kids, but I gained some patience after a whole of working with them. One of the biggest things that I think I learned was how to tell how students learn better. Dalton was a auditory learner for sure. Its harder to tell for some of the youngest kids because they are just learning to read. I think this is the biggest benefit I got from tutoring. This tutoring experience help me understand more about the learning/teaching methods to visual, auditory and kinesthetic students. Everyone learns differently and you have to take in their personal experience when grading students papers.
No comments:
Post a Comment